Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Nigger, please...

Slight digression here - I'm in the process of sorting out my first proper 'investigative' post (should be ready tomorrow). In the meantime, here's a wee story to keep you interested...

In setting up this blog, I was sorting through my cookbooks to see which I would place in my "Recommended Reading" list. When I came across my Good Housekeeping cookbook, I remembered the rather eye-catching recipe for children's party food listed inside:
Nigger Minstrel Cakes (the book was published in 1962)! While the racism may not be entirely surprising given the era, what catches me is the sheer nonchalance, the casual manner in which it's used - in this instance, a fun recipe for the kids. A picture of the cakes (click on the photo for a closer look):Finger's crossed, tomorrow's post will be about...lamb tails!

No comments: