Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Kawhia Kai Festival, February 3


Kawhia, situated on the west coast south of Raglan, has its annual Traditional Maori Kai Festival on the third of February. Maori kai - traditional and modern - are on offer, as well as a raft of cultural events and activities throughout the day (moko demonstrations, bands, kapahaka displays and more). Last year's festival had a record ten thousand people in attendance, with numbers expected to be well in excess of that this year - I shall be there (popping down from Raglan where I'll be staying), camera in hand! It's a part of the country I've never been to, and I'm looking forward to my trip. I'm also packing the pants with the elasticated waist in readiness...

Click here for a map of the area.

The Harvest Hawke's Bay Wine Festival is on that same weekend too. Eat, drink and be merry, kids!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I love Raglan. We sometimes go camping there. Look forward to your pics of the festival.